THE LITTLE BIRD THAT COULDN'T

 

Yesterday, the wind was gusting to 50 mph.  It was a blustery, unpleasant day to be outside.  We were driving on a backroad near Georgetown when my six-year-old grandson looked up and exclaimed, “A bird is struggling in the sky!”  As we sat at the light watching the bird make no progress with his wings flapping furiously against the wind, we kept screaming at him to turn around. The bird was very determined to continue fighting the headwind but going nowhere.  We wondered if his little body would not survive the strain of fighting the wind and fall from the sky.  Finally, he flew sideways to the nearest power line to rest after his struggle, and we drove away with the satisfaction that the bird would fly for another day.

 

Later that day, my thoughts drifted to the little bird that fought the wind bravely but finally surrendered.  I thought about all the years I’ve tried to make a difference by working with like-minded souls for various causes.  Lately, the headwinds have strengthened, and I’ve felt like giving up.   After all, I’m older, and the end isn’t that far away.  Maybe I’ll sit a spell on a bench by the side of a flowing river and rest awhile.  When the end does come, my epitaph will read, “She was always running against the wind.”  I am One with the bird.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM