FEELING FORTUNATE

It's tiresome hearing the phrase "I'm so blessed" almost every day.  I always wonder if someone spewing this sentiment realizes how arrogant they sound.

'Being blessed' implies that God showed favoritism.  I don't believe that to be true.  God wouldn't choose you over anyone else.  What happens to us is either a result of actions we initiated, others initiated, or even sheer randomness.

The more accurate word would be 'fortunate.'  You could even say you were 'lucky.'

Some of the unfortunate things that have happened to me resulted from my poor judgment.  When I was a child, bad stuff was done to me.  Overall, I was unlucky as a child.  God didn't reach down and decide to choose me for the abuse I endured, nor has he chosen anyone else to live a miserable existence.  

As an adult, I've been, by and large, very fortunate. I wasn't really fortunate or lucky since I set goals and achieved them just for the experience. I've seen much of the world, read thousands of books, lived in many different places, and met numerous people from all cultures, races,  and economic statuses.  Those were all my choices to create what I wanted to experience.  

I was fortunate to survive all the dangerous situations in which I placed myself!





Comments

  1. Do you remember that old Western movie....can't recall the name, but Jimmy Stewart was at the dinner table with his family saying grace. "Well Lord, we plowed the field, planted the crops and harvested them, and prepared this meal...but we thank you anyway."

    Well stated, friend. I'm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM