CHRISTIANITY AND INCARCERATED CHILDREN (2018)


I've struggled with religion, specifically Christianity, my entire life. There was a disconnect between what the church leaders taught and what was occurring at home. The real problem was that my father was one of the church leaders. I might have been born a skeptic anyway, as I remember feeling doubtful that anything happening in the church was authentic at a very young age. Something about it seemed like a play, with everyone fulfilling their roles in the church while acting anything but Jesus-like otherwise. I can't think of a time when that isn't again more evident than now.

After reading the Bible and the Koran, studying Hindu practices, attending a Jewish Temple for several years, and absorbing the teachings of The Buddha, I'm finally at a place where my beliefs reflect a mixture of many spiritual leaders. I believe in a Supreme Being, God, Allah, KHVH, or the Masters. I believe in spirits, angels, past lives, and reincarnation. All the great spiritual leaders taught us to love one another. I think there's an afterlife. I don't have to be right in my spiritual beliefs, and it's okay if others think differently or have no beliefs at all. We are our brother's keeper. We are to love one another. Those two core values don't even require faith in anything other than being a decent human being.

After several meetings with the senior pastor, I joined a church in my well-to-do, right-wing conservative community over a year ago. I explained to him my spiritual beliefs and asked if I would be welcomed as a member. He quickly responded that the church was there for everyone, no matter where they were on their spiritual journey. I immediately felt not only drawn to him because of his inclusiveness, but I also appreciated his belief, like Jesus, that everyone was invited to sit at the table.

There's spiritual power when a group of people pray or meditate together. I wanted to attend a church where I could feel the presence of God, although I also feel his presence when in the great outdoors. The sanctuary sits atop a hill and overlooks the lake and surrounding hills. Often, one can see eagles flying by, high above the lake and close to the church's windows.

I could run away from the church as millions of people are doing now. Many are fleeing the church primarily because the evangelical movement supports an amoral president. My modus operandi is to run toward causes and tragedies. Christianity, and its many opportunities for hypocrisy, have become one of my objectives. I will call it out when I witness hypocrisy each and every time.

I recently joined friends at the border to assist refugee families coming to this country seeking asylum from countries ravaged by drug cartels. The drug cartels formed because of the demand for illegal drugs in our country, yet we have not made coming to this country easy for them. Over 12,000 children have been separated from their families in the Trump administration's ill-conceived and inhumane policy to "send a message" to those crossing our southern border.

I haven't noticed any of my church-going family members or friends expressing outrage about the incarceration of children, although most are "pro-life"--a misnomer if ever there was one. I have been listening carefully for a peep from them. I've even checked their Facebook pages for any kind of denouncement of the policy. Not one word in writing or speaking has occurred. Their lack of compassion and empathy astounds me. I remember the story about Jesus and his plea to bring the children to him--for protection and love. Did they somehow miss his message in their lily-white churches? I have quite a few atheist friends. Each one of them is outraged. What does that say about the church-goers who are silent?

I wrote a story about my experience at the border and sent it to my senior pastor. He never responded. Nothing was mentioned in prayers or in sermons for weeks. One day, I saw him in the supermarket and asked if he had read my story. He replied affirmatively and thought he had responded. I explained that I had heard nothing. I asked that he pray for the children and families being imprisoned. He replied affirmatively.

Three more Sundays went by after our encounter. Nothing was mentioned. I wrote a prayer request and put it in the offering basket during church services--still nothing.

I made an appointment with him to inquire why nothing was mentioned in church about the children. He told me that a prayer group met several times a week. As a result of my prayer request, the group is now praying for the children. He promised he would pray for them and appeared ashamed that he had not done it in the past. As we continued to converse, I discovered that we were of like mind on issues facing our country today. The relief I felt was palpable. Oh, I understand that he won't be able to share his opinions with 99% of the congregation and keep his job, but at least I know what's in his heart. During these times of fake Christianity, I'll take whatever I can get.

This past Sunday, two months have passed since the story was sent to him. He not only prayed for the children, but the junior pastor, who gave the sermon, made a point to preach that prayers should not only be for themselves, but they should be praying for the children separated from their parents.

Sometimes, a "heathen," as I was called by a former in-law who spent all her spare time reading the Bible (go figure), can be the light. If one still has a religious-based belief system, don't turn away from churches--work within to bring them back to morality if they wandered away. Find a church with leaders who will speak out against injustice, as Jesus did. They're out there, even in the Texas Hill Country.

God works in mysterious ways.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM