ON TURNING 70


There are plenty of us in Horseshoe Bay in our 70s, 80s, and 90s, with maybe a few over 100, so it isn't a significant event that I'm turning 70. The most fascinating aspect about reaching this age is that I lived this long, despite a few illnesses that, by some miracle, I survived. Worse than any sickness I endured is my proclivity to ignore danger and step right into the middle of situations that might have shortened my life considerably. Those days may be over.

Let's skip childhood altogether and fast-forward to the adult years. I admit that working full-time while attending college to earn three degrees was not a carefree and happy period. Still, it taught me that delayed gratification, coupled with a sharp focus, would eventually lead me to a productive professional career. There were some poor decisions along the way, as is often the case with risk-takers. Professional and personal relationships often suffered because of my high expectations and inability to accept less.  

My husband, Jack, and I enjoyed traveling by private or commercial airplanes to explore most of our country. We loved being outdoors and hiking mountains, including the Appalachian Trail, the Na Pali Coast in Kauai, and the John Muir Trail in California. We went scuba diving in the kelp forest off the coast of California, the Gulf of Mexico coral reefs, and the pristine Hawaiian waters. Jack loved to fly into storm clouds for fun, as he was always chasing St. Elmo's fire. After we crash-landed in Taos, I no longer shared his enthusiasm. When we divorced a few years later, it meant no more flights in a little airplane that felt more like a coffin with each mile we flew. The best part of our marriage was the birth of our daughter, Marcy, forty years ago. Tom Robbins once wrote that it's never too late to have a happy childhood. Living vicariously through Marcy's childhood was a second chance to experience an unfettered, lovely childhood.

When Marcy was age 6, we traveled to Europe for the first time. As we walked the streets of Paris, people admired my beautiful blonde curly-headed little girl with big dimples. Marcy was frightened of the attention and has never warmed to Paris, although it is my favorite city in the world. When she was quite young, we made frequent trips together to New York, Colorado, and California. Marcy was the perfect travel companion, hanging tightly to my hand while we navigated the world. When she was older, we traveled to South Africa, Mexico, and several countries in South America. Our trip to the Galapagos, Machu Pichu, and Iguazu Falls would be our last memorable trip together to foreign countries before she married and had children.

Most of the dangerous adventures I've had were when I was alone. Frequently walking alone on the streets of NYC after midnight was one of the riskier things I've done, and I lived to tell about it. In more recent years, there have been times when I found myself on a mountain without adequate water, even though I've sworn to be better prepared. Some people would not recommend that a woman in her 60s solo hike due to increased crime on remote trails. Falling off a cliff while hiking is another possibility, which is why it's recommended that one does not solo hike. I've hiked alone in areas with mountain lions and bears, but I was left unscathed. I might not have carried enough water on my hikes in the Cascades, but I always took bear spray, which is helpful with bears and might help ward off the boogeyman. I must admit that dying from dehydration or heat stroke is more likely than being mauled by a bear, especially considering how I roll!

While I'm grateful that my working years were successful, they were stressful. Retirement has been a massive relief to my mental well-being. A few months before my retirement, Marcy birthed a baby boy, then a girl 16 months later. We've been fortunate to live close to each other since my retirement four years ago, first in Seattle and now in Texas. My grandchildren have brought me endless pleasure, although I cannot physically keep up with them due to arthritis invading my spine and hips. Years of running, professional bicycle racing, and aging are doing a number on my body. Growing old is not for sissies, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

My next adventure awaits, even if I need wheels to ascend the next mountain!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM