ALL THAT MATTERS



Everything we hold dear is temporary. Our achievements and assets will not go to the grave with us, so why do we attach such importance to "things?" My dad disliked people who bragged about their money and achievements.  The local newspaper in my hometown once published a picture of me with a cutline that I had received a master's degree from the University of North Texas.  I kept expecting my father to mention that he saw my picture or at least congratulate me.  When I finally asked him about the announcement, he replied, "Why would you allow something like that to be in the paper? That's bragging." His response stung me, but his words now influence my reaction when people mention the cost of their homes, the kind of car they drive, and their retirement accounts.  My father's words echo in my head when I hear boasting.  And actually, despite a poser's need to impress others, it usually has the opposite effect.

We didn't have many extras when I was growing up, even less than other families living in my hometown with fathers having similar jobs. My dad was an unskilled worker for 40 years at a petroleum plant.  His responsibility was to ensure chemicals were loaded into the boxcars properly.  Whatever money my dad earned, he must have saved fifty cents on the dollar. He was able to retire before he turned 60 and live comfortably for over 30 more years.  My parents lived modestly and had lovely homes and cars they bought with cash.  Later in life, when they were traveling, they decided to get an American Express card "in case they needed it." Only a few people function without credit, whether a mortgage, car loan, or monthly payments made to credit card companies.

While we can't take our possessions to the grave, and anything we leave will eventually disintegrate, our love for others endures long after we're gone.  Our children's first exposure to love was from us, and they pass it down to their children. Our love for friends is passed on to others, too.  And so, it goes.  Love is all that matters, whether it's love for our family or our friends. I'm impressed when I hear what someone is doing for others or when they tell me the joy their family and friends bring into their lives.

"Who" we are matters, not what we possess.    



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM