THE TRAVELING TOILET CHAIR


There are frequent reminders that our bodies do not match what our brains tell us as we age. Someone once asked, "How old would you be if you didn't know when you were born?" I'd be about 40 because time has passed that quickly, and my mind has not accepted it. That is, until I do something stupid that sidelines me for a while or until health issues interfere with my delusional state.
Michele Walker and I were born around the same time. The past two years have been challenging for both of us, yet we believe that when life knocks you down, you get up and go back with gusto as soon as possible. We're both fiercely independent, so accepting even a smidgen of help is tough.
Michele's one tough and brave woman. How she maneuvered around with a bum knee on three levels is miraculous. Michele had her knee replaced a couple of years ago and had the equipment to assist in being more independent. One piece of equipment she used was an over-the-commode chair that fits over the toilet and has arms to transfer safely.
She loaned me the chair when I had my first hip replaced last year. It was a lifesaver for the month I used it. I was happy to return the chair to symbolize my newfound independence when I no longer needed it.
Michele had some repair work on her knee and needed it soon after.
Three months after my first hip replacement, I had the other hip replaced. Michele happily loaned me the commode chair, which stayed for another 30 days.
Shortly after returning the chair to Michele, she had her hip replaced and needed to transfer it on and off the toilet.
Three months after Michele finished with the chair, I dislocated my hip and asked to borrow it.
Michele cheerfully brought it to my house and remarked, "I don't want it back. It's bad luck!"
So, it's now in my possession for the foreseeable future. I'm so grateful for the invention of this miracle chair, but I'm beginning to wonder if it IS bad luck! Conversely, I'm not getting rid of it. Life has taught me that anything can happen, no matter how old I am or what shape I think I am. It's one of those little reminders that we're getting older. Stuff happens.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM