COLONEL CLARKE

 

I met Clark and his wife at the pool shortly after they moved into our 62+ apartment complex a few months ago.  Clark immediately told me that he had written a book, lived an adventurous life, and was available to give inspirational speeches.  I didn’t absorb his words then because I could say the same, apart from giving inspirational speeches.  After all, what could I possibly say that would inspire anyone? 

 

Clark and his beautiful wife, Julie, make an impression when they enter a room. Clark has a deep, booming voice that grabs one’s attention.  I imagine he was a stunningly handsome man when he was younger, and he still looks striking. Clark smiles while talking and maintains excellent eye contact.  The best trait he possesses is that he periodically takes a breath and asks about the other person, i.e., it’s not all about him, although that would be easy.

 

Today, the apartment building management sponsored breakfast in honor of veterans.  I purposely sat at a table with several people that I wanted to know better, which included Clarke and Julie.

 

After people started drifting away, I asked Clarke if he spoke to service organizations as I was thinking about joining a local Rotary Club and knew they were looking for speakers. It wasn’t the usual morning conversation from other residents about various ailments, complaints about management, and gossip--much to my profound relief! When I asked him what subjects he’d address in a speech, he shared it could be his service in the Marines dodging bullets in Vietnam or being chased by some creature on a mountain hike in the Himalayas, or his PR role with HL Hunt when he met John Wayne or his job-related duties with the Beatles in Hong Kong or his job with Governor Perry’s office representing Texas and interfacing with foreign dignitaries.  As I sat enraptured by snippets of his life, I realized that this was someone that had something to say.  He beat me by the proverbial mile, although I would have been even more impressed had he graduated from UT rather than A&M!  Hook ‘em!

 

A few hours after our brief conversation, I researched wild animals in the Himalayas.  I can hardly wait to tell him that he might have been stalked by a Bengal tiger, which would have enjoyed having him for dinner.  It could have been Takin or Langur, but the Bengal tiger is a much more exciting thought.

 

This morning reminded me of how much I enjoyed getting to know patients when I managed the rehab hospital in Florida. I discovered, and still am learning, that many people have fascinating stories to share. It’s easy to dismiss retirees with the assumption that since they are no longer working, they have nothing interesting to tell us. All one has to do is ask, then listen, really listen.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM