LOSING LUNI AND LARRY

 

The scariness of our death isn't quite as acute when we're older because most of us have accepted that it's inevitable. As the years pass, losing friends and family becomes a regular occurrence. But the death of those closest to you is brutal, especially when they are part of your daily life.

 

My friends fall on a spectrum of sorts. I share my deepest, darkest thoughts with a couple of close friends, and they love me despite my flaws. I'm grateful for all the friends in my life, as I understand that I'm not everyone's cup of tea. 

 

Two very dear friends, Luni and Larry, died this year. Their loss is something I'll never "get over," even though I'm grateful they were in my life for many years. Our frequent conversations are no more, and I'll never look into their beautiful, loving, sweet faces again.

 

The hole in our soul when we've lost someone close never heals, but it does make us realize that we should hang on tightly to our loved ones. There's an acute realization that our time is quickly running out and that we must let those we love know how much they mean to us...right now.

 

I've lived with a personal philosophy: I only associate with people who bring me joy and avoid those who don't, including family members and "friends" who show contempt or no interest in me. I no longer try to force a healthy relationship with anyone. We all deserve to love and be loved; one-sided relationships aren't worth our time and energy. Life's far too short.


I'm grateful for new friendships.  Some of them develop and become deeper connections, but some don't. I've learned to accept friends for what they mean to me in the present moment.

 

We all need the connection that loved ones bring us, so it's important to tell our loved ones what they mean to us. Larry and Luni knew I loved them, but I wish I tell them one. more. time.   

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM