THE PRODIGAL DAUGHTER RETURNS TO THE LIBRARY

After many years of avoiding libraries, I finally obtained a library card. When I entered Hampton Branch at Oak Hill Library today, I encountered Frank, a friend who lives in my apartment complex. Frank and his wife worked diligently to improve the Hampton Branch library grounds. They also successfully advocated that the library be named after William Hampton, a beloved attorney-community activist murdered in 1996. The library sits in a beautiful, established neighborhood surrounded by inviting trails meandering through open fields with a gigantic Live Oak tree gracing the front entrance.  A gazebo adjacent to the building provides a quiet, shaded place for reading or contemplation. 

The first time I entered the library felt like coming home after many decades of being away.  Although I’ve belonged to various book and writing clubs for several years, I would lazily order the selected books through Amazon.  I would then give the books to my mother, who horrifyingly threw them away after she finished reading them.  After learning about her practice, I organized three little free libraries in the town where I recently lived, thus providing a safe place for books.

Libraries were essential to my life growing up in a small town.  Books offered the perfect escape from a troubled childhood and enriched my life in many ways, and still do.  I spent many hours and days in college libraries while obtaining three degrees.  I’ve thought many times about how much easier it must be to get a degree with the advantage of the internet. However, students would lose such a glorious time in an enchanting place of learning and exploring.

Today, I asked the local librarian if the library board had experienced a book-banning group at their meetings. She expressed gratitude that they had not had to deal with organized groups demanding the removal of books.  Libraries have an established procedure for patrons to express objections through written communication.  This procedure has been successful for many years until the most recent dangerous movement to ban books began several years ago.  

According to a recent press release by the American Library Association, there were a record number of attempts to ban books in 2022.  There has been an organized effort at censorship and book banning through social media and circulated by organized groups using the same list of targeted books, particularly books about the history of slavery and sexual orientation. In my previous county of residence,  book titles with "butt" or "farting" would be removed from the shelves.  Hence, I authored my most recent book, Stinky Butts.  So there. 

There were 2571 book titles challenged last year, increasing from 223 in 2020 to 1858 in 2021.  41% of those book titles were in public libraries, while 58% were in school and classroom libraries.  This trend is alarming.

This week, the US House is voting on a dangerous bill entitled “Parents Bill of Rights Act” that could bolster book-banning efforts nationwide.  Unite Against Book Bans recommends that citizens contact their representatives to vote against this bill.

I'm thrilled to be back in a place that once gave me a sanctuary, provided me with an escape through reading, and advanced my college career.  More importantly, I'm even more encouraged that libraries will still stand after the misguided voices of those who wish to destroy our democracy are long gone.  

(I checked out SHUGGIE BAIN by Douglas Stuart and THE LIAR by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen)




PS:  The House passed the bill, but the Senate will not act upon it.  And both books were excellent reading!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM