THE BEGGAR



I once employed a nurse in my hospital that had spent time volunteering with Mother Teresa in Calcutta. While I try and "do good" in the world, I will undoubtedly never be like Mother Teresa. As my nurse would probably say, "I know Mother Teresa. You are no Mother Teresa." One of my recent attempts to help others could have been smoother.

I was strolling down the sidewalk with my two-year-old granddaughter while my daughter and son-in-law were enjoying a quiet meal with my three-year-old grandson. You know how young kids are––when they're finished, they're finished, and everyone in the restaurant hears it. So, I took her for a walk on a warm day in a beautiful shopping center located in Lakeway. We loved exploring the stores and flowers along the way, basking in the attention of passers-by as they said "hello" to the precious little one holding my hand. Echoes of the song "What a Beautiful World" played in my head. As we were strolling, I was fully aware that this would be one of many memories of being with her that was burned into my brain to savor later.

He was thin, clean, and dressed like many boys his age as he approached us. After excusing himself for bothering me, he explained that he was out of gas money and needed a home. He thought $5.00 would do it. I impulsively decided to give him some money, knowing that he could just as quickly grab my wallet or try to take my granddaughter. I drive myself crazy worrying about how my grandchildren could be harmed, yet here I was, standing in the middle of the sidewalk, offering a couple of dollars to this stranger. He probably wasn't even old enough to drive, for goodness sake! Haven't individuals wanting "gas money approached us all? I've never fallen for it, but I did on a lovely Saturday afternoon. 

My daughter and son-in-law observed the entire interaction from inside the restaurant. After a few minutes, my daughter came outside and was soon stopped by a group of young boys on skateboards. They told her the same guy had asked them for money. The boys gave him what money they had and watched as he approached other people. Soon, we all watched as he joined several men down the street. They quickly jumped into a car and left the area. The car didn't even sputter as it made a fast exit. Unfortunately, the car was too far away to read the license plate number.

According to news reports, there is a growing epidemic of heroin use among adolescents in suburban areas of the country. The affluent areas are the most vulnerable because they can buy heroin. In checking the Lakeway Police Department's statistics, I discovered that there had been 100 arrests for drugs and drug-related crimes in the past six months.

It saddens me when I think about how this boy might have a drug problem, whether I contributed to his addiction or if older males were using him for something nefarious. What could I have done better? Should I have asked him if he needed help? Should I have just said "no" and walked on by? If he had looked homeless or unkempt, his need for money would have been more apparent. When I encounter homeless people, I always think of angels amongst us. We never know if or who they are, but they are undoubtedly present in the most unexpected places. This was not one of those times. 

I will never put my granddaughter in harm's way after having an experience like I did on that beautiful day. I will ensure there is no carload of older males waiting down the street to make a quick getaway. If I see them, we'll just walk on by––even if Louie Armstrong is singing in my ear.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM