WHAT REALLY MATTERS



I don't claim to be an expert on anything. Nevertheless, I know what makes me happy. Since I've lived almost seven(!) decades, I might have some wisdom to pass along.

Today, I went hiking with my best buddy, Paddy. It has been quite a while since we last walked on the trails in Horseshoe Bay. Paddy's four legs, one-half Golden Retriever, and one-half Poodle DNA make him an excellent hiker. We love the outdoors, and our daily walks are usually on the paved roads through the hills outside my door. When we lived in Seattle two years ago, we spent at least one day a week climbing one of the many trails through the mountains in the Cascades. Paddy is much better at it than I, as he scampers up massive boulders, then looks down at me as if to ask, "What's your problem? This is easy!" Meanwhile, I'm dying.

It's hard to describe the elation I feel after I become steadier and maintain a certain rhythm while on a trail. Immediately, I start breathing better. I become more sure-footed. Shortly after hitting the trails, I feel an absolute oneness with nature. Every wildflower, rock formation, the wind blowing through the trees, and the various shades of green captures my attention. I begin to mentally and emotionally appreciate that I'm only one tiny part of this big, beautiful universe.

When hiking in remote places, I'm usually hyper-alert to every sound, from birds to what might be lurking under a large boulder. As the trail goes more prolonged, the temperature increases, and I start to get tired, and what captivated me at first becomes less appealing. I start concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other. When I see the car at the end, a sense of accomplishment overtakes any unpleasantness I might have felt during my last moments on the trail.

Hiking naturally puts me in a meditative state of mind. If something bothers me, it's generally worked out by the time I finish. Today, I didn't have any worries and just wanted to be in the moment to enjoy every step of the way. I thought about how much pleasure being in nature gives me and other things that I love doing. Time spent with my daughter and grandchildren is at the top of the list. Following close behind are the outdoors in its many forms–the beauty of flowers, rivers, mountains, lakes, paths through the woods, sunrises/sunsets, etc. A stroll through museums is immensely pleasurable, especially Impressionist paintings–whether I see them in Paris, Dallas, or New York, it matters not. Someone once said that you've got it made if you're surrounded by beautiful flowers and art. I've got it made.

I challenge myself physically and intellectually every day. I might skip on one or the other occasionally, but I've been reasonably consistent in learning something new and getting off the couch daily. I limit my time in front of the TV and last saw the national news almost two years ago. I'm a better person for it. TV watching will only dull one's mind and prevent critical thinking. I've known a few people brainwashed by watching news programs. We'd all learn more by reading books written by historians, scientists, and even investigative journalists. They have in common the research they did before writing a book. One does not get that by watching TV.

The activities that make me the happiest don't involve money. While absorbing that concept took a long time, I only really started living it in the past few years.

Give me a grandbaby in my arms, a hug from my daughter (or other loved ones), a beautiful sunset, a hiking trail, a good non-fiction book, or a glance at a lovely painting, and I'm a happy woman.

Life is better than good.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM