ALL THAT MATTERS



One of the benefits of growing older is realizing things that really matter. You discover that you would give everything to see the smile a loved one gives you when your eyes meet. That adoring smile may be a memory of a loved one gone before you were ready or of a parent no longer on this earth. Perhaps it's the grin of a child or a grandchild when they first see you after some time apart. It could be the beautiful sound of laughter as your family is gathered around the kitchen table. Then, there are the sunsets or sunrises as you sit on top of a mountain or watch a whale breach at the exact time you emerge from under the ocean while scuba diving. If you're incredibly fortunate, you've experienced joy in all its many forms.

Many people and experiences bring us pleasure. We learn as we age that our health becomes essential – much more important than our bank account. For many of us, having "enough" means we can pay our bills and have enough for what we need and much of what we want. We might go through our whole lives worrying about acquiring more money and more return on investments only to discover that deep, intense joy doesn't happen by counting money. Happiness is derived from loving and being loved.

My mother's husband of a couple of years recently died. Before they married, she was already financially comfortable, so his death didn't impact her monetarily. He retired from the military and received a pension when he died. When I asked her if she would receive the widow's benefit, she said she didn't want to go through the stress of completing the required paperwork. At first, I wondered why anyone would want to leave money on the table, but I concluded that more money wouldn't change anything about her life. She has everything she needs and most of what she wants. She wants to see her family members more often in the winter of her years. At 90, she certainly deserves whatever attention we can give her.

The Bible advises, "For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil." Yet, we see examples of people going down that path every day. They aren't usually the type of people you want to have as friends. I'm grateful that I can still learn from my mother. At a certain point or maybe point, if you have enough, why go through the stress of trying to obtain more? What do you truly gain? Is it to impress neighbors and friends? I am reminded of the Shania Twain song, That Doesn't Impress Me Much. You might gain some attention momentarily, but after a brief glance, most people carry on with their lives and with what makes them happy.

Like most weekends, I will soon see my grandbabies. In a week or so, I'll take my mother to lunch and spend the afternoon reminiscing. Meanwhile, I'll hold tight to the memory of my time with a loved one who died too soon and how he looked into my eyes. It's impossible to put a price on precious moments spent with those we love.

You'll know why I have a big grin if you're there! As I take my last breath, I won't be thinking of how much money I've accumulated over the years. I'll envision the beautiful faces of my grandbabies and the times we shared.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM