GETTING OLDER


I will scream if I hear "it's because you're getting older" one more time. I shouldn't complain, as nothing has been life-threatening. I can whine, though, can't I?

My gastroenterologist diagnosed me with diverticulosis about a year ago. He explained that "as we age," the lining of our intestines becomes weaker and forms pockets. Most people with diverticulosis experience no symptoms or complications. Complications of diverticulosis occur when food gets trapped in the pockets and becomes infected. The result is a condition called diverticulitis. Lucky me, I've had several painful and debilitating episodes of diverticulitis in the past 8 months. After a trip to the ER to get correctly diagnosed using a CT scan, 10 days of antibiotics, and a liquid diet, I recover for what seems like a millisecond before it all starts again. Losing weight this way is not recommended.

During my most recent visit to the ER for diverticulitis, I was informed that the electrocardiogram results were "abnormal." When I inquired further, I was told not to worry because it was minor and likely related to age. Once again, a painful reminder that time is marching on. It could be worse, much worse. I know.

Several years ago, I had cataracts removed from both eyes and lenses implanted to correct distance and reading. After the surgery, I was amazed at how vivid the colors were all around me and how I could finally see while driving, particularly at night. I had perfect vision for about 30 months after the eye surgeries. Alas, my eyesight started deteriorating about six months ago. My vision while driving at night has been relatively awful, while driving during the day could have been better too. I have a terrible habit of self-diagnosis, so I figured I had dry eyes and scheduled a visit to the ophthalmologist for medication.

While completing paperwork at the ophthalmologist's office, I wrote down my age for the first time since November. I was shocked and asked the clerk if the number 69 by the blank next to "age" was correct. Holy cow! Do you mean I'll be 70 at the end of this year? That can't be right! The young woman clerk humored me by laughing at my lame joke.

The ophthalmologist diagnosed me with vision correction, as my eyes had "aged" since the eye surgeries almost 3 years ago. The doctor explained that many people have the surgery I had, live the rest of their lives without glasses, and do not need any more surgery. My options were undergoing corrective eye surgery, having a new implant for distance vision, or wearing glasses while driving. If I opted for the operation, there would be no guarantee that I wouldn't need future surgery at approximately $3000-$5000 each time. I give up. I'll wear glasses.

I can't remember, but did I tell you about my hearing?

When I was younger, I swore I wouldn't be one of those "elderly people" who told you about their ailments after being asked how they were doing. You know how it goes...when asking anyone how they are doing, you don't want to hear every minute detail. I've felt like I have been physically falling apart between my back, gut, and allergies for the past two years. I'm afraid I've become one of "them" because I tell people how I feel when asked. After about two minutes into my long-winded answer, I noticed their eyes glazing over.

I'm turning a new leaf. If asked how I'm doing, I'll respond with all the positive aspects of my life. I live in a lovely area of the Hill Country and have great friends. My daughter and grandbabies are only an hour away. I'm sure I could bore the heck outta anyone with tales about my grandbabies. Maybe my answer should be one word, like, "fine." On the other hand, I really do want to know how you're doing. Take whatever time you need.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM