A CAR BUYING ADVENTURE


If you live your life believing in the possibility that some new adventure might be waiting for you just beyond your front door, you'll never be disappointed. An adventuresome spirit has a way of turning the most mundane afternoon into something unforgettable. Sometimes, when you're in the middle of doing something entirely ordinary, you encounter someone extraordinary. 

Most of us have experienced the unpleasant task of trading vehicles. It's a tedious process that tries my rapidly vanishing patience. I have kept my beloved Prius for seven years, a gift from a loved one who died two years ago. Besides, everyone knows that an SUV or a truck is a must in the Texas Hill Country! After realizing that any repair requiring the nearest Toyota dealership would mean an all-day ordeal of driving and waiting, I decided to trade it for an American SUV from a dealership in Marble Falls.

I was kicking tires and looking in the windows of SUVs when Robin approached me. She was an attractive middle-aged woman dressed in slacks, a beautiful blouse, and a lovely long, printed kimono. I was relieved not to see the typical sweaty-faced, suited salesman greeting me in that "anxious to make a sale" demeanor that proliferated years ago. 

We looked at several SUVs, but I had already viewed their inventory online and knew what I wanted. Besides the Prius, this was the first time I had owned a new car because of the depreciation associated with new vehicles. I had done my homework and knew the value of the Prius.

I drove the SUV I chose from their website and loved it, as I knew I would. The SUV was certified and pre-owned, with low miles and the color of a cardinal. Plus, it possessed all the bells and whistles of a new car without the sticker shock. 

Robin and I got acquainted during the over 4 hours it took to conclude the transaction. Oh sure, she went through the obligatory sales talk a few times to promote the dealership's integrity and pricing policy. I tried to be patient as I listened to her spiel, but I eventually had to tell her to cut it out, as I got it the first time. When the sales manager approached me with the same shtick, I had to ask him to stop. Buying a car is like playing poker. Ya' gotta know when to fold them and when to walk away. He defended the "no negotiation" price of the vehicle while I insisted on more money for my car. Neither of us would budge, so I shook their hands and prepared to leave. He quickly agreed to increase the amount they would give me for my car. The deal was done. Lesson learned...don't mess with someone who has done her homework, and never underestimate women.

Two of those over four hours involved transferring the title, cleaning my new car, moving a mountain of "stuff" from the old to the new car, meeting staff from the service department, and an attempt to upsell me on "add-ons" to the vehicle. This was Robin's first day on the floor. She had sold cars and worked in the finance department at dealerships in the Austin area. She felt fortunate to find a job at a dealership closer to her home that also shared her values. Robin and her husband recently sold their house near Austin and moved into their Buchanan lake house full-time.

Besides her ability to close a sale, what impressed me about Robin is that she is an artist. Her medium is acrylic on weathered wood. Robin showed me iPhone pictures of her paintings, which featured a stately heron standing in water drawn on a shiplap. Robin has an artist's studio in Kingsland, which her husband operates while she's busy selling cars or creating more paintings. They also host a market day on the second weekend of the month, where various artists display and sell their wares. Wreaths, paintings, leatherwork, purses, jewelry, antiques, and baked goods are available. You should check them out at Hill Country Shops, 12315 RR 1431.

As the day turned into night, I whispered a final farewell to my beloved Prius. Sometimes, when you've lost someone you loved, grief creeps in as you let go of possessions associated with the person who died. I felt like I was saying another goodbye to him. I allowed a few brief moments of sadness to pass, climbed into my new SUV, and headed toward new adventures. I could not have predicted earlier the added bonus of a new, blossoming friendship with a talented artist who also happens to sell cars!  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM