A LOVE AFFAIR WITH TEXAS


I don't know exactly when I started my love affair with Texas, but maybe it was when I was born on a cold November day in the Texas Panhandle over seven decades ago. I'm confident I associated snuggling tightly against my mother with everything good about the world, particularly the place where I was born.

My father took us on many trips by automobile when I was growing up. We traveled all over Texas, camped in most state parks, and swam in its pristine lakes. Additionally, we ventured out to many states in the western part of the United States. Anything east of us, other than my relatives in Oklahoma, was never given a thought. We were provincial in our thinking, but I would later make up for that in spades when I grew up and wandered around the planet.

When Texans brag about our home state, we don't include the big cities for the most part, although I'd give them a slight nod. Instead, we're referring to the vastness, beauty, and uniqueness found in all the out-of-way places, from the Red River to the Rio Grande, from the Monahans Sandhills to the Toledo Bend Reservoir.

One of my favorite places is Palo Duro Canyon, a stunning anomaly carved into an otherwise flat Panhandle. A canyon situated smack dab in the middle of such flatness is a big surprise. Thirty years ago, I ran many miles of road at the base of the Canyon to prepare for the Cowtown Marathon in Fort Worth, which I would complete several months later. In the evening, my parents and I, along with my husband and daughter, attended the musical Texas. I've seen it several times, and it's always delightful, especially when lightning appears and thunder echoes against the canyon walls during the production. While in the area, one must remember the Panhandle-Plains Museum in nearby Canyon, a must-see.

Last summer, we drove through a portion of Caprock Canyon State Park near Quitaque, one of those out-of-way places in Texas that must be experienced for its beauty and uniqueness. Many miles of hiking trails lace the park. The now-defunct Burlington Northern rail line was transformed into a long hiking trail years ago and included tunnels. The Official Texas Bison Herd makes their home in the Canyon. Warning: Bison might look innocent, but a charging bison cannot be outrun.

I remember sliding down one of the high sand dunes near Monahans years ago. Majestic sand dunes were a shock in the middle of West Texas. We recently enjoyed an afternoon there on our way to Big Bend, my number one place in Texas. Big Bend is one of those faraway places where you gaze into the night sky lit by billions of stars and realize we are all just insignificant specks in the universe. Such a humbling yet incredible experience.

I've gotten reacquainted with my beloved Texas for the past two years by traveling to most parts of the state. I haven't made it to East Texas recently, but I lived in Lufkin for 18 months many years ago and spent weekends hiking through Big Thicket National Preserve and other places of note in the beautiful piney woods. Walking through those parts revealed a great hideout during the Civil War and before Indians inhabited the area.

A recent trip to Port Aransas with my daughter and her family included a boat ride to watch dolphins. Shortly after leaving the dock, we encountered two dolphins, and later, as we passed the lighthouse, many dolphins played hide and seek with us. Who would ever associate dolphins with Texas? Just one more example of the tremendous diversity of experiences awaiting all of us in one giant state.

Enchanted Rock is a local favorite and a thrill to climb to view the Texas Hill Country in all its glory. Nearby is the beautiful drive on the Willow City Loop to see the bluebonnets in the spring. The past couple of years, hiking in Pedernales State Park, Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge, Mt. Bonnell, Lost Maples State Park, and Colorado Bend State Park has helped reintroduce me to my beloved Texas. McDonald's Observatory, Marfa (the lights!), Marathon, Alpine (the museum!), and Balmorhea State Park (the pool!) are unparalleled state highlights.

There are many more Texas treasures I want to experience, like the Guadalupe Mountains National Park. I had planned to climb to the top of Guadalupe Peak until I had two hip replacements followed by one of the new hips dislocating while walking on ice. I regret that I'll probably never have the thrill of gazing across the landscape from the highest natural point in Texas!

Let's not forget a visit to South Padre Island during winter!
                                                          PALO DURO CANYON

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM