ON BEING PARANOID


Many of us know what it's like to live in small communities with Homeowner's Associations. Most of the time, everything works fine, and everyone gets along for the greater good. I serve on the board of the Horseshoe Bay POA, which encompasses 7,700 property owners. Our board is composed of fine folks to make life better for everyone living in Horseshoe Bay.

As I age, stubbornness and impatience are frequent companions. Sometimes in the smaller HOAs, though, people with a bit of newly acquired power get carried away.  And, if the person "in charge" overreacts and dislikes any feedback that isn't supportive, it can be hell on earth for the person(s) criticizing. I admit that I can be very outspoken. I am compelled to express my opinion when I've had enough unwise decisions that hit my pocketbook.

I live in a tiny community of 30 townhomes.  I bought my townhouse with plans to live in Horseshoe Bay during the winter, as Seattle's rainy, sunless winter is brutally depressing. I closed on my Horseshoe Bay house the same day my daughter resigned from Amazon in Seattle and accepted a job with a start-up company in Bee Cave. I have yet to return to Seattle. In some respects, it's been a long 33 months.

I now understand that condo/townhouse communities with HOAs in Horseshoe Bay have similar compositions of full-time homeowners and part-time (or second-home) owners.  The part-time owners, at least those who aren't renting their place out to every Tom, Dick, and Harry, only want a place at the lake to visit occasionally. They really don't care about the day-to-day operations.  They want to avoid being bothered and gladly write checks to the HOA for whatever they are told needs to be done.  If none of the HOA board members live on location, it makes one wonder about oversight of costly projects, mainly with no property manager. Full-time owners can become disturbed when expensive projects need to be better managed.

My career was spent managing and developing new healthcare businesses.  Some might think I know enough to be dangerous, while others might feel the successes I experienced are worthwhile to share. So, naturally, I have offered suggestions to the board of our small townhomes community. Suffice it to say that no one wants my input, but I provide it anyway because I can't help myself.

The "trouble-makers" (meaning a handful of us who question the board's judgment) were accused of "criminal mischief" by removing a hose that was draining water from the pool.  It was an unfounded accusation, and the pool became operational shortly after much drama. I learned recently that the board might install cameras around the common areas.

I arrived home late a few days ago after a chaotic day at my daughter's house in Steiner Ranch.  The day was filled with two grandbabies, six repairmen, and two dogs.  The workers often left the front door open, and my grandchildren thought it was hysterical to run out the door.  Finally, the day was over, and I headed home.  The first chore upon arriving back home was to walk the dogs.

As I walked past my back patio, I noticed a small, round, white disc attached to the side of the house that had not been there earlier. There were seven other townhouses with the same object attached to their homes. I surmised that these were cameras and someone was watching my every move. What an invasion of privacy!  I experienced queasiness in the pit of my stomach, followed by a long night of sleeplessness.

Early the following day, I took a " camera " picture and texted it to the guy who repairs my house.  He quickly responded that it was new internet equipment.  Oh, my!  I had been walking around, making faces and gestures toward what I thought were cameras and, in general, acting like a paranoid fool!  When I shared with my friends what had happened, we all got a big laugh and still chuckled about it a week later. While I'm happy to provide endless entertainment for my friends, I have had enough and realized that I need to find a drama-free location.

Thankfully, my realtor and I are on the best of terms.  My first requirement for a new pad in Horseshoe Bay? No HOA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM