MY BRIEF PROFESSIONAL BIKE RACING CAREER

I hadn’t thought about my brief bicycle racing years until I watched a steady stream of old folks riding bikes on the beach from my perch, far from the maddening crowd. I applaud them for their efforts with the realization that there’s no way this old woman will ever ride a bike again. After two hip replacements, followed by dislocating a hip, I figure a tumble off a bike might have serious consequences.
I was fearlessly competitive in the early 80s but won only one or two races. Elite young female athletes were the regular winners. They trained many hours and miles daily, while I usually trained by commuting 35 miles round trip to work. Plus, I had a young child, a husband, and a job that needed my attention. Besides, at age 35, I was much older than the young women vying for a place on the Olympic team. Vitas, a French bicycle maker, was my sponsor. They awarded me with one of their lightweight aluminum bike frames that were highly prized during the 80s. We added expensive titanium components which ensured the bike wouldn't weigh over 20 pounds.
For two years, I entered criterium and road racing events around Texas and Oklahoma. A criterium is a lapped race on a closed circuit set in cities. The laps are usually one-half to one-and-a-half miles with 4-6 turns. The total distance is approximately 60 miles. Road races are held on rural paved roads for 60 to 100 miles. There is a mass start for both types, with chaos and crashes occurring early in the race. I never crashed during a race, but there were plenty of close calls!
When friends recently asked how I fared in the races, I replied that I was always relieved to not collapse during a race. I distinctly remember feeling the blood in my throat toward the end of a race after going as fast as I could throughout an event. I also remember poor sportsmanship on behalf of the other racers. Male racers are incredibly aggressive and would push people off their bikes if they got in the way. Female racers could be equally brutal, especially the ones training for the Olympics.
Early in my racing career, I learned not to lead the pack, as everyone tries to draft off the bicycle in front of them, thus making it easier to pedal as you are pulled along. I loved hearing the crowds cheer as I led our group for over an hour at my first criterium race around the Oklahoma State Capital building. Little did I know that the woman in the very back would pass me and everyone else on the last lap!
My racing days ended when I became the single mother of a six-year-old. I couldn’t risk being hit by a car while commuting and potentially leaving my daughter without a mother. Plus, I was approaching 40 and competing against women in their 20s.
I LOVE being a spectator!





 

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM