REMEMBERING ALEX

I wondered why I hadn't seen your numerous posts in the upper right-hand corner of Facebook.  As you probably knew, I couldn't stand to see your shared posts from various far-right pages (most of them the original 'fake news sites).  It appeared you were obsessed with your hate for Obama and Hillary and would continue your tirade long past your guy winning.

I stopped communicating with you on the phone when you would not honor my frequent requests to stop your tirades against liberals, Obama, and Hillary.  Before I decided to stop communicating with you, we had planned on you visiting me in Texas for the summer. You loved everything about Texas...the cows, the Indians, and the wide open spaces. 

Years ago, we were lovers. You would think we'd be more grown up at age 55 or so. My most vivid memory of that time was riding on the back of your motorcycle, going 100 mph down I-95. I asked at the time if you were testing my courage, and you laughed.  I didn't get on your motorcycle again.  

I loved your exuberance and passion for life, but I always thought you were  a 'player.'  We each moved on with new lovers, but we mostly spent more time out of relationships than in relationships. If we were honest with ourselves, we both could be 'difficult' people.

Years ago, you were a big, strong, handsome, and brilliant man.  When you entered the room, everyone knew you had arrived.  And you made sure of it, almost to the point of embarrassment.  You usually demanded first-class service.  It was not uncommon for you to fire your doctor because you had to wait too long to be seen or if he/she waited more than a day to return your call.

You were fearless.  Your allegiance to Israel was intense, especially since you were born in Israel and lived in that country.  Many years later, and after you'd been in America for many years, you served periodically in the Israeli military, achieving the rank of Colonel.

We never lost touch.  You always wanted what was best for me.  Five years ago, when I finally told you the truth about my alcoholic boyfriend with the crazy, greedy grown children, you would call me daily and demand that I end the relationship.  You always looked out for my best interests.

A heart attack about 10 years ago began your long, slow decline.  You must have aged 20 years within a few years of the heart attack.  When I last saw you 2 years ago, I swear you looked 90 years old.  You were only in your late 60's at that time.

Despite failing health, you wouldn't admit defeat.  Heck, you wouldn't admit that you had severe health issues, so off you went to Standing Rock.  You drove across the country, sometimes waylaid by illness and sometimes stopped by weather.  You referred to yourself as a warrior and felt a grand alliance with Native Americans.  We spoke nightly. I worried about you and admired you at the same time. You often commented that you would give your life to prevent the pipeline from being built.

You carried on... despite bladder cancer and a heart that wasn't up to par.  You were hopeful that you would be placed on the donor heart recipient list, but no doctor wanted to approve it because of cancer, even though you were in remission.

We did speak once again in May.  I would like your honest opinion about my ability to run for office or whether it was just a pipe dream. You felt that I had the background and ability to garner support for those causes that were common to both of us. You gave me your wholehearted support and even offered this dreaded Liberal your assistance during my campaign. 

I had been thinking about you for a while when I visited your timeline yesterday.  Your last post was on July 20.  You related that you would be going into the hospital to have a heart ablation procedure done the next day and would be under anesthesia for 2 hours.  You died on the table, according to your friends who commented following your last post.

It's too late to apologize for not calling you more often and letting politics interfere with a long friendship.  

I wish I had told you how much your support meant and how sorry I am that I failed to support you when you needed me most.

Today is a sad day.

Farewell, my warrior...rest in peace.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM