THE INNOCENCE OF ADOLESCENCE



I've always avoided teenagers, especially after I painfully went through it myself and then with my daughter. Teens are often unfiltered in their comments when amongst their peers. They might not address you directly but will talk to each other loud enough to know it might be something unflattering about you. It's just how they roll in the individuation process as they transition from childhood to adulthood.

It's impressive that the young people who recently experienced a mass shooting in their school are loudly vocalizing their frustration with the NRA-funded majority rule in our country. It appears they have more of a chance to make a difference than those of us who have been demanding sensible gun control laws for many years. I'm reminded of Psalms: "Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength."

My almost three-year-old grandson took my hand yesterday and asked to see the school buses near where we were watching a state-wide high school track meet. Patrick loves school buses from the wheels to the chassis and the steering column to the seats inside.

As we approached one of the many buses, I decided he might want to explore more of the bus than just the wheels. When I noticed several boys inside one of them, I respectfully asked to show my grandson around. To the delight of my grandson, they agreed. He quickly scrambled up the steps. Before I could reach the top stage, he had disappeared somewhere in the back of the bus. I couldn't see the top of his head as I searched row after row until I finally found him, quiet as a mouse and with a huge grin spread across his face.

I asked the boys if they were participating in the track meet. They responded that they were awaiting their turn immediately following the girl's events. The boys welcomed the little guy on the bus, especially when he said in his tiny voice, "Hi, guys!"

It was only a short time before they were fully engaged with Patrick. One of them climbed into the driver's seat and asked where he was going to school. When I told him that Patrick was not in school yet, but would eventually attend Steiner Ranch, he promptly pretended to start the bus while telling Patrick we were going to school. Patrick squealed with delight. It was as if his most fervent dream had come true.
I have a new appreciation for adolescents now. The act of kindness they showed my grandson was remarkable. The advocacy the teens from the school in Parkland, Florida, are displaying gives me faith that there might finally be a bright light shining into the black soul of this country.

The youthful leaders of the gun control movement are like the boys we encountered yesterday on the bus. They aren't tainted by politics or by religious dogma. The strength to make a difference lies within them. It's encouraging to know that they represent our future.

We're going to be alright.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM