A TRIBUTE TO CRIS


                                        
                                                                                                                    
I recently learned that my good friend, Cris, had suffered a series of strokes and is now receiving hospice care. Some might wonder why I'm grieving for someone over age 100, but they don't know the force of Cris and the impact she has made on others.

After moving to South Florida to open and eventually manage a rehabilitation hospital, I met Cris. Cris was on the hospital board and a good friend of Ernestine's, the VP of Nursing for the umbrella healthcare organization. Ernestine took me under her wing since I was new to the area and knew no one. They were two extraordinary women with whom I had the pleasure of lunching, laughing, and playing golf 15 years ago. 

Ernestine eventually left the healthcare organization to pursue other professional opportunities 
and moved out of the area. Cris and I continued having lunch once a month. At a board meeting where I was to give a presentation on the rehab hospital, Cris called me over it started and told me that today was her birthday. She cloyingly asked, "Guess how old I am today?" I truthfully responded, "Uh, maybe 70?" Cris was well into her 90s then. She still looked like a young 70-year-old. Cris always dresses to the nines with perfect makeup, a glint in her eye, and a big smile. I believed she would live forever. 

When she was 50 years old, Cris married for the first and only time to the bank's president, where she conducted business. She immediately retired from her real estate businesses in New York and London to avoid conflicts of interest. Cris gave each office manager her real estate business when she retired. When I asked Cris why she didn't sell them her business, she casually replied, "Oh, I didn't need the money, and they earned it." Cris and her husband were together for almost 50 years until his death five years ago.

Cris is one of those joyful people who light up the room with energy when she walks in. She can tell the best dirty jokes of anyone I ever knew. Cris loved flirting with every man in the restaurant or country club. I don't think she had to work at flirting, as it came naturally to her. Cris has always taken what seems to be vicarious enjoyment in hearing about my love life with endless questions about "him." Our last conversation ended with nothing to report. Cris replied, "You are a free spirit. No one will ever be able to tie you down. Have fun. Life is too short." We are kindred spirits.

Today, I pay tribute to a friend I've adored for many years. Cris was my hero. As she nears the end, I'm trapped in the past and present tense describing our friendship. As is often the case, we stay in the present even after our loved ones have left us. I will miss her more than words could ever express. If I'm fortunate, I will see her again for a "goodbye for now" in a few days…just one more time.

When the time comes for her to leave this physical world, the angels will rejoice in welcoming a remarkable spirit.

Update: Two months later, I traveled to Florida and saw Cris two days before she died.  Rest in peace, my good friend.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM