HIKING IN THE CHISOS MOUNTAINS

Hiking in our late 60s is very different than when we were much younger. We go slower and know that our energy and balance are not as they used to be. I reach the mountaintop by trudging onward and upward with each careful step. I must admit that much of my self-talk during the first few steps and toward the end of the trail is about wondering what I’m doing in the world and questioning whether I’ll even complete the entire hike. The switchbacks begin to feel like they’ll never end, and the top of the mountain seems elusive. Still, I slowly and carefully put one foot in front of the other. As the ascent becomes steeper and more complex, I no longer care if I encounter a rattlesnake, a bear, or a mountain lion; my only thought is finishing the hike and ending my misery. Finally, all the effort in reaching the top is rewarded with awe-inspiring scenery. As I descend the mountain, the pauses on the trail become more frequent as my knees are weakened from the ascent.

There’s an old trick amongst veteran hikers. As we descend the mountain, a frequent question from those ascending is, “How far is it to the top?”  The standard answer is to reply, “Not far at all. It’s about 200 feet and worth every step until you reach the peak, where the view is incredible.”  Now, it could be more like 500 feet, but we don’t want to discourage anyone, as the last 500 feet are usually grueling and much worse than they’ve already experienced.  

I prefer to hike with others, but if no one is around or my hiking partner is either too fast or too slow, I go solo and enjoy every moment of aloneness. Hiking clears my mind and forces me to focus on something other than whatever bothers me. I’m completely distracted by the beauty of nature, the sound of birds singing, and the touch of soft mountain breezes. After it’s over, I forget whatever pain I experienced while hiking. When the trip concludes, and I’m relaxing in my home, I relive it all over while looking at the pictures I took during the hike.  

I have a tee shirt with the words “Climb Mountains, Hike Forward, and Push Yourself.”  Alas, there’s always another mountain to climb.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM