LEAVING HORSESHOE BAY



Many memories of five years in Horseshoe Bay start to surface as I contemplate my upcoming move.  When I returned to Texas after living many years away, my initial goal was to live part-time in the beautiful Hill Country as a seasonal escape from Seattle winters.  Those plans quickly changed when my daughter and grandchildren moved to Austin. 

Unfortunately, I soon discovered I had moved to a resort community full of wealthy, far-right-wing elitists.  It was a struggle to find people with like minds.  I could forget about meeting any single men who shared my core values.  Trump was recently elected, representing everything I detested in privileged white men. I experienced those types of men throughout my career, and they are prevalent in Texas.  I was devastated as I had moved from a progressive state to a state that began feeling more like the Dark Ages.

I did my best to contribute to my community through various volunteer projects. I found my way to progressive groups and quickly joined them.  I became active in non-political organizations, too. The subtle and sometimes outright nastiness toward me because of my political beliefs began wearing on me.  And…I felt left out of social situations, even with people who shared my values, because I was not part of a couple and not a member of the resort.  The first year of COVID was even more isolating for me due to two major operations and a hip dislocation.  

I placed my house on the market after receiving a couple of ugly text messages from people who served on past boards with me because of my stance against book banning.  Finally, I had enough of the ugliness.  It’s fascinating how people can turn on a dime.

Now that I’m closer to moving, I think of the people who were my close friends.  Every day I hear someone telling me they are sorry I’m leaving.  It’s a surprise that some people feel that way, and I’m grateful they are sharing their feelings with me now.  It’s almost like attending your own funeral.  I think of the kindness of my friends and neighbors when I needed help.  I think of the friends I encounter on my early morning walks and the beautiful scenes of the lake and distant hills.  I think of the neighbors who came to my rescue to care for my dog when I couldn’t walk.  I think of the neighbor two doors down from me who responded to my cries for help as I landed on my back on top of the ice and another neighbor who took care of Paddy for a few nights afterward.  I think of the good friend who stayed with me for a week after my first surgery and the friend who drove on the ice to the ER and took me to his house to rehabilitate for two months after dislocating my hip.  I think of the many friends who drove a long way to visit me while I was recovering. I think of the restaurants and businesses where I’m welcomed and remembered.  I think of the sea of smiling faces who attend meetings where I’m the president.  I think of the book and writing clubs I’ve attended and the discussions we’ve enjoyed.  I think of the many good times with the local Texas Exes.  

I’ll miss the good times and the good people who showed me they cared.  I’ll always be grateful for them.  When I recall my time here, I’ll remember that the good has overwhelmingly outweighed the bad.  I hope my contributions to this community made a difference. 

Sometimes, leaving is difficult, even when you know it’s the right thing to do.  I’ve said many goodbyes during my time on this earth, but this is one goodbye I didn’t anticipate when I moved here.  I’m comforted by the anticipation that new friends and more good times await me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM