GRANDCHILDREN AND COVID-19


I haven’t been totally compliant about sheltering in place, although I haven’t been inside a supermarket since early February (thank God for grocery delivery)! Three times, I made lightning-speed trips with a mask on into our small local grocery store since February, and one trip to an Austin Target store last month where everyone wore a mask. That’s it.

I’ve never stopped visiting my daughter, Marcy, and her family in their home or mine every week. We don’t wear masks during our visits. My heart fills up each time I arrive at their house, and my grandchildren run to my car, wrapping their arms around me while shouting, “Grandmama!!! What did you bring me?”  99% of the time, I have presents for them, although my daughter disapproves. She’ll understand once she becomes a grandmother. Since we have been sheltered in place, I’ve felt safe. It’s a calculated risk of which I’m well aware.

Marcy has chosen to send her children to public school next month, ages 3 and 5. While I’m sure someone in the household could review online classes with them, no one has the experience and the special touch of a trained teacher. I’m frightened for their family since we’re still in the middle of a pandemic, but I understand. My grandchildren’s brains are like sponges and need stimulation. Besides, they need the socialization of other children, even though it will be at a distance. 

I don’t know what I will do after they start school. My guess is that my visits will be brief, and we’ll all wear masks. I cannot imagine not seeing them regularly, although I have friends who haven’t seen their children and grandchildren for months.

My grandson, Patrick, is obsessed with toys and the “old lady” wrinkles on my hands and upper arms. He loves to rub his hands up and down my arms and marvel at my old, loose skin. Marcy has admonished him about possibly hurting my feelings, but the fact remains that I DO have wrinkles, and I earned each one! I find his unfiltered observations hilarious. In fact, Patrick tells me that he’s an expert on many things like cars and trains. When I test him, it’s astonishing that he knows the difference between a Toyota and a Ford and prefers a Lamborghini over a Porsche! He needs a teacher to guide him as he learns as much as his brain can absorb.

My granddaughter, Gigi, now wants to be called “Genevieve.”  Genevieve is a budding artist and loves dinosaurs and unicorns. When I visit, we spend lots of time playing together. Genevieve will be age 4 in a few weeks. Her other grandparents, uncle, aunt, and spouses will visit from out of state for her birthday next month. I will probably make a brief appearance while social distancing and wearing a mask. I cannot imagine missing her birthday. It’s another calculated risk.

I’ll continue to find a way to be with them. How can I not? Hopefully, our world will be much better a year from now, or, even better, much sooner!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM