ROCK AND ROLL GEEZERS

One of the many depressing facts of aging is the sight of musicians you adored when you were young but are now in the final stages of their lives. When you’re frequently around friends your age, you don’t even think about how old they look. It’s one thing to look at yourself in the mirror (but not too closely) while gradually adjusting to your own aging and that of your friends.

Conversely, Willie Nelson, Keith Richards, and Mick Jagger always looked old. Drugs, alcohol, the road, and women will age you faster than you can snort a hit of cocaine. I saw Willie at a fundraiser for Beto last year. I could not believe how diminutive and frail he looked, yet, to this day, he continues doing his thing at age 90. He’s an inspiration for all of us geezers.
We never saw John Denver past age 53, and I must admit I still weep when I listen to his music. I wouldn’t care how old he would look now; I would love to hear him perform one more time. In my mind’s eye, he will always be "forever young."
Jimmy Buffet, famous for his fun Parrot Head concerts, recently canceled a performance due to illness. He commented, “Growing old is not for sissies, I promise you,” a common refrain from many of us of a certain age. I still think of the first concert of Jimmy’s I attended forty years ago, and he’s not much older than me! When I saw his picture in the news, I about fell over. How could he have aged so quickly? After all, it's only been forty years! Nevermind.
In a new documentary about John Waite, it is shocking to see how old he looks, yet John’s still rockin’ and rollin’ like he did when he sang for the Babys. Gordon Lightfoot looked ancient before he recently died, unlike when he first sang the beautifully poignant song “If You Could Read My Mind.”
Joan Baez remains beautiful, but Joni Mitchell and Linda Ronstadt have had serious illnesses that quickly aged them. We'll never hear Ronstadt again. Fortunately, Joni is back singing, although, like Willie, she performs seated.
Years ago, Howard Stern played a game on his radio show. A caller would have to choose whether a deceased musician died in a plane crash or from drugs, as with many musicians from my younger years. While his game was in bad taste, it was a sad ending for many singers of the 70s through the 90s.
Reminders of our short time on this earth are always present. Still, when confronted with the reality of aging, it's uncomfortable at best, whether it's people we know, ourselves, or celebrities.
And finally, Neil Young---enough said!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM