STORIES FROM THE GEEZER APARTMENTS: Bella


The people living here aren't always funny, nor are they always annoying. All of us are of a certain age and acutely aware of time’s ticking clock. There aren’t many ticks left for us, and the periodic appearance of ambulances reminds us that time is whizzing by at breakneck speed.
Susan moved in with her old black lab, Bella, about two months ago. Susan and I met in the dog park several times and enjoyed each other’s company while I endlessly petted Bella. She had expressive eyes full of love, and I instinctively knew she didn’t have that long to live. It was apparent that walking was painful for Bella and her mistress. Still, we both enjoyed seeing Paddy and her son’s young Golden Retriever play.
Today, Susan and her son were walking toward Paddy and me. The Golden Retriever happily greeted Paddy, and the son held one of the cutest Shih Tzu puppies you ever saw. When I asked about Bella, Susan started crying. Susan shared that she knew Bella was in pain and was having tremendous difficulty standing and walking, so she decided to have Bella euthanized yesterday. Today, her son bought the puppy to bring joy back into his mother’s life. Susan wasn’t having any of it. Her pain was too much, and she couldn’t bring herself to hold the puppy. Most people, myself included, are not ready for a new puppy when our hearts are freshly broken. Grief is a process, and everyone is different in how they experience it or how long it takes. Some never "get over" it, as I'm sure will be my case when Paddy takes his last breath.
As they walked away, I told Susan she had a wonderful, thoughtful, and caring son. She smiled and replied, "I know."
RIP Bella. You are deeply loved.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM