STORIES FROM THE GEEZER APARTMENTS: Politics or Not?

 

It’s no surprise that I love talking about politics. Still, I wouldn't say I like debating with anyone on either extreme of the political divide, particularly the far, far-out right. Republicans are acceptable if they don’t start repeating conspiracy theories or supporting Trump. They are too far gone for me to spend one minute of my time. Unless I’m around like-minds, I usually keep my mouth shut. Conversely, I'm not too fond of superficial chatter and quickly get bored or annoyed. I know. I’m not exactly everyone’s cup of tea. Hence I live alone.
The coffee group here is composed of good-hearted people. However, one or two are entering the initial stages of cognitive decline. One even mentioned that she couldn’t remember how many presidents we’ve had since the COVID pandemic. It’s coming for all of us but not an issue currently for most geezers here. After all, this isn’t an independent or assisted living facility and certainly not a nursing home. Meals aren’t provided unless it’s a potluck or a special occasion when the management decides to grace us with food. No caregivers are around unless a resident privately hires them, and management/maintenance staff are not present 24/7. A few residents are at the stage where they should transition to a facility with caregiving available. Still, they can’t be prevented from renting an apartment at this location unless they don’t meet the financial requirements.
The conversation today drifted to choosing a party when voting in the primaries. One gentleman talked about his wife, who always declares that she is an Independent but votes in the Democratic Party Primary. He shared that after he was appointed County Judge in a rural county due to the current judge leaving office before his term expired, he was encouraged to run as a Republican when election time came. He declined to do that because it would be dishonest, even though the county, like most Texas rural counties, voted 85% Republican. I applauded him for having integrity.
I announced that today, the education committee of the Texas Legislature is introducing a proposed law to allow public school funding to be shifted to school vouchers. We discussed the pros and cons of school vouchers. I was very interested in hearing from the retired educators at the table who gave their opinion on how vouchers would impact public schools. Most educators opposed it, but one stated that it would not significantly impact. I respected his opinion because he cited the percentage allotted to vouchers from the current public school budget.
I mentioned that George Santos was arrested today on federal charges. Most agreed that it was time Santos was held accountable for his many lies and fraudulent acts. I noticed that one of the women left the table for a while. When she returned, she announced we should have a “rule” that politics couldn’t be discussed. A woman who couldn’t remember how many presidents we’ve had since 2020 remarked that she was part of a group when the outcome of the current Trump trial was discussed the prior evening, so she walked away. I asked if it would be wiser if people simply left the table if anything offended them instead of making rules about what we could discuss.
It's a sad state of affairs when current events are considered “too political.” That leaves what we did last night; most of us would be maybe reading or watching TV, then going to bed by 10 PM at the latest.
I might have to return to being a hermit. At least I agree with myself and can freely think whatever I wish! But then, what am I going to do for material?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM