STORIES FROM THE GEEZER APARTMENTS: Dawn


When you least expect it, someone will teach you something new, even though every fiber of your being fights against it. There’s some psychobabble out there regarding people who mistreat you and learning that their behavior isn’t about you. I’m unsure if that’s entirely true, but I’ve occasionally been on the wrong end and taken it very personally. I usually confront it or flee as quickly as possible to protect both of us.
When I moved into my new apartment, the woman next door, Dawn, wouldn’t speak to me even though I expressed a hearty “hello” as I was schlepping box after box into my apartment. Our postage stamp-size yards are adjacent with respective gates leading to our cars, so encountering each other is not unusual. Plus, Dawn has the yappiest dog that freaks out whenever his mistress leaves her apartment. I often admonished the dog and would tell it to shut it. After being spurned the first time, several months would pass before I acknowledged Dawn. I’m ashamed of my behavior.
I was leaving my apartment one day several months ago and noticed the paramedics carrying her out on a stretcher. I had heard rumors that she had cancer, but she appeared healthy. I still didn’t like Dawn because of her behavior toward me and dismissed it as figuring she didn’t want a neighbor. Isn’t it interesting how we conjure all these stories inside our heads when it has nothing to do with reality or with us?
I ran to catch up to her stretcher before she was loaded into the ambulance and asked if she needed me to take care of her dog or if there was anything I could do for her. Dawn had difficulty breathing and was obviously ill, but she told me a friend would retrieve him from her apartment.
Since that encounter, we have been friendly toward each other. Dawn knows that I'm here if she needs anything. After being released from the hospital for a respiratory illness, Dawn told me she had been battling cancer for nine years. It has now metastasized to her lungs, back, and brain. I noticed she had been losing weight over the past 10 months. As I was leaving today, I saw her dog in the yard. I said, "Hello, puppy." I didn't know Dawn was standing on her porch, but she called out to me and asked how I was doing. Can you imagine someone that was dying asking me if I was okay?? I told her I was fine but immediately wanted to know how she was doing. She replied that today would be her last radiation treatment, starting a few months ago, to help control her back and head pain. There’s now nothing to be done except wait for the inevitable. Dawn is almost skeletal now. I had difficulty holding it together as I drove toward my destination, had lunch with my precious grandson, and continued my day. Meanwhile, Dawn is suffering and struggling to get through each day. Why, oh why, is life so cruel?
I mentioned to the apartment manager, Lauren, that I was concerned about Dawn's health and what would happen to the dog when she was gone. Lauren assured me she was keeping a close eye on her. She told Dawn she would adopt the dog after her death, which must have been a massive relief for Dawn. Lauren is a jewel, and I remind everyone I know about her selfless act of love.
The lesson I learned is it truly isn’t always about me! “Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.” If you’re into prayers or want to send positive thoughts her way, please do it for Dawn. 🙏



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM