FULL CIRCLE

 

Isn’t it funny how life comes full circle sometimes unexpectedly? It’s almost as if the world was topsy turvy many years ago, then straightened itself at the last moment to ensure a smoother exit.
I grew up in a tiny town where our fathers worked for a petroleum company. All the children attended the same small school for 12 years, with the majority leaving for college shortly after graduation. We knew children older and younger than us because frequently, they were our classmates’ siblings. We even knew to which family a dog walking down the street belonged, even if the pet was many blocks away from their yard. Most dogs were mutts; our parents wouldn’t dream of wasting money on purebred dogs. I only learned in the last few years that our families were poor. While I was surprised to get the news, it doesn’t matter. All I wanted was to leave home and the town as fast as possible to begin the adventures I only dreamed about as a child. My hometown only exists as a memory, as the company forced everyone to move 40 years ago.
I was not popular in school. I don’t think I was disliked, but it was more of an invisibility of my own making. I silently envied other children and wanted badly to be part of the in-crowd, but I didn’t know how to get from point A to point B.
Most of us finished college, began our careers, and had families. I lost touch with everyone with one exception, and we remain in contact, although I haven’t seen her in five years because she lives in Dallas, and I shudder at the thought of driving on I-35. It’s only been since I returned to Texas six years ago that I started socializing with people from my hometown who now live in the Austin area, with one of them living in Arkansas and traveling to see her sister (and us) periodically. What’s fascinating is that these are the same people I wanted as friends growing up. They were the most popular children in school. Some of them are older, and some are my age, but they’ve become very dear friends in the last few years, and I almost jump for joy when the time rolls around for us to get together again. My daughter has met many of them and swears that my version of my school days must be incorrect because we all fit seamlessly.
Until recently, I felt resentful that I was excluded as a child, but I finally had an epiphany. They didn’t exclude me; instead, I was withdrawn from everyone. These new, old friends have lovable, upbeat personalities, qualities I lacked as a child but gained as an adult. Well, I don’t know about the lovable part, but I am upbeat most of the time, especially when I’m with those who bring me joy. I awakened this morning and realized how fortunate I am to have my childhood classmates in my life as we enter the last part of our lives.
I finally get to sit at the table with the popular kids!
(One of our luncheons at Hula Hut in Austin. We're meeting there again soon!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM