MEETING ROSALYNN CARTER

 


I met her after begging a friend who had a friend working in the Carter Administration to arrange a private tour of the White House in the late 70s.
Little did I know the tour would include a brief meeting with Rosalynn Carter. She was gracious, gentle, and warm and had the tiniest hands imaginable when she took my hand into hers. What was most remarkable about her was her interest in me, even though I was a politically star-struck girl in her mid-20s, pretending to be sophisticated and knowledgeable. Looking back, I realize I knew nothing and was lucky to be in such a formidable company.
I followed the trajectory of the Carters after they left the White House. Jimmy Carter is the best former President we've ever had. He doesn't take credit for anything he's accomplished without acknowledging his wife, Rosalynn.
Their work with Habitat for Humanity is well known, including driving nails, painting, and roofing projects as recently as a few years ago. Their lives were devoted to alleviating suffering and advancing human rights. Rosalynn, in particular, was an outspoken advocate for mental health.
What I will remember most about this couple was their love story. Former President Carter was deeply in love with his wife and lamented through his poetry about her shyness in returning his fierce love. His book of poetry, Always a Reckoning, contains a poem about his enduring love for his wife. Oh, to be loved like that!
President Carter will likely join his beloved wife soon, and the world will not be the same without them. They were beyond remarkable and made a tremendous difference in the lives of millions.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM