BETRAYAL OF A FRIEND AND KARMA

We've been friends for sixty years, even though our only communication has been through comments made on FB to each other a couple of times this past year. To this day, she holds a special place in my heart. If it weren't for her and her family's home serving as a refuge from the turmoil in my house as a child, I really don't know if I would have made it.

Linda was always there for me.  I would hurry to her home as soon as the dishes were done most nights.  We'd stay in her room for several hours while I decompressed.  I never once felt that I was unwelcome in her home.  I suspect Linda's parents knew what I had to endure in the house around the corner from them.

I had few friends in school and was a loner for the most part.  She didn't run with the "in crowd" either, but she had a brilliant mind and a compassionate heart.  Her closest friend graduated first in our class, and she wasn't far behind.  Only a handful of us with advanced degrees from our high school graduating class.  With Master's degrees in math and microbiology, the two of them worked in private and public industries for many years.  My friend worked in a research laboratory associated with a medical school.  Their findings extended the lives of millions of people.  I think that pretty much trumps the rest of us.

There was a time in our high school years when members of the "popular crowd" made fun of her.  I was close by and joined in.  I suppose I wanted to be part of the clique, but in the process, I betrayed the closest friend I had during those years.

I immediately felt remorse for my behavior.  I tearfully confessed to my friend about my betrayal. Surprisingly, she graciously forgave me.  After that incident, I didn't permit anyone to say unkind things about her in my presence.  Even though decades have passed, I still feel terrible about it.  She didn't deserve it.  Not.one.bit.

Sometimes Karma catches up with you not long after you've been horrible to another person.  It was shortly after that when I was walking home by myself.  Following closely behind me were a few girls from my class.  One of them, in particular, was doing all the laughing and taunting.  I can't remember what they were saying, but I cried all the way home and told my mother about it.  It must have involved something about our school band.  In short order,  she marched into the Band Director's office and told him about the incident.  I loved her for staunchly defending me.

Twenty years later, I would find myself in the Principal's office at my daughter's school. I discovered Marcy and I were singled out for a session with the Principal, but the girl throwing the first punch was not. One of her female classmates hit Marcy while running from third base to home plate during a softball game.  My daughter stopped, turned around, and punched the girl in the stomach. My response was while I didn't condone fighting, the girl was lucky that my daughter didn't use Karate on her, as she had been trained to use various maneuvers should she be attacked.  It was well-known that this girl had a troubled home life.  I asked the Principal what they were doing and reminded her that Texas State Law requires reporting abuse.  I suggested that there was much more to the story than two girls having a fight on the playground.  Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

I hadn't seen the "mean girls" leader taunting me when I was a child but a couple of times since we graduated.  I'll probably see her at our 50th Class Reunion next year.  I haven't forgotten what she did to me that day, and I'm not even sure I've forgiven her.  We've both lived such a long time that I'm sure Karma caught up with her at some point, too. It always does.  So, I'll smile politely and move on to the next person.

The person I really want to see is my neighbor, classmate, friend, and savior.  One could never have a better friend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM