SOMETIMES, EVEN OLD WOMEN ARE OFFERED DRINKS


About once a week, Paddy and I love to visit Wanna Wanna, a beach bar about a 20-minute walk from my condo in South Padre.  It would take us less time to get there, but Paddy delights in investigating and urinating on every bit of seaweed stranded on the beach.  I love this bar because it reminds me of Islamorada in the Florida Keys, which I frequently visited when I lived in South Florida. Heck, the entire island reminds me of the Keys and is one of the main reasons I love being here during the winter. I miss everything about South Florida, so South Padre eases that yearning to return. The other reason is that I don’t have to worry about dislocating my hip after falling on ice like I did in February 2021. The last time South Padre Island had snow was two inches in 2004, and no ice storms have been reported. The average temperature in January is 61. This January, we had many 70-degree days.

I’m not one for going to bars alone, but I’m not alone with Paddy in tow.  Besides, his beauty, sweetness, and docile attitude draw people to him. I doubt people are drawn to me similarly, but my hidden introversion probably sends signals to stay away. Spontaneous conversations usually follow with sharing information about Paddy (“What is he?”) and where everyone is from.  I’m usually the only Texan in the bar, as everyone else is from Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio, Nebraska, etc.  You get the picture.  South Padre Beach is the place of choice in the winter for Midwesterners, much like Palm Beach County in the winter for people from NYC.  When I lived in South Florida and managed rehab facilities, I had to deal with demanding New Yorkers, who are a lot like Texans in their arrogance and obnoxiousness.  The Midwesterners visiting here are polite and friendly.

I realized today that the last several times I was in the bar, I was offered a drink.  I’m a lightweight when it comes to drinking and can nurse my one drink that I order upon arrival for two hours or longer.  I never want more than one drink, although the offer is always nice.  Recently, I started talking with a man who shared his experiences growing up as a migrant worker.  His family would follow the crops from the Lower Rio Grande Valley to Idaho every year until his father decided they could stay home in the Valley all year long because there was enough work to feed his family. He told me about a job he loved for 40 years, then being forced into retirement in his early 50s.  He kept offering to buy me a drink, and I kept refusing until I finally accepted some water.  I didn’t know where the conversation was going, but I do know when it stopped.  He shared that he had an RV parked in Port Isabel because he liked to fish.  His wife didn’t like to fish, so she stayed in their home in McAllen.

So, about five minutes after the mention of his wife, I excused myself.  Maybe I’ve still got “it.” I know; I’m delusional.  Just give me a few minutes…





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM