THE PANHANDLE IN MY REARVIEW MIRROR


Over fifty years ago, I left the Texas Panhandle for the big city lights of Dallas over 350 miles down the highway. I was excited to leave the place where I felt stifled.  My many dreams were just waiting to be fulfilled at the end of that long road. To borrow lyrics from Mac Davis, “I thought happiness was [the Panhandle] in my rearview mirror.”  

Only the Panhandle never left me.  Even though I eventually lived on both coasts and in a foreign country, I returned to Texas seven years ago after retiring.  I didn’t appreciate them when I was young, but I discovered over the years there are no finer people than those from the Panhandle.  We’re a hardy bunch who will tell you the God-honest truth even if it’s upsetting, but we’ll also help when needed. I learned over the years that happiness is not a destination but a companion to sadness, no matter where one resides.  What we’re left with in the final season of our lives are mostly good memories of a time when life was simpler and we could dream how great life would be in the future.  If lucky, we maintain cherished childhood friendships that share those beautiful memories. 

The devastating wildfires in the Panhandle awakened me to my love for the remotely beautiful area where I was born and raised.  If I were younger and more mobile, I’d be there right now to assist those who have lost everything. Seeing the outpouring of help from good people nationwide is immensely heartwarming. While I’ve worried about my friends still living in the Panhandle, I know they’ll be busy helping their neighbors and, together, will rise again and be stronger than ever.

In the meantime, truckloads of hay and other feed are being donated from close and faraway places to feed the remaining cattle and wildlife. Rain will finally come, and the scorched earth will be replaced by grass growing high once again.  Orphaned calves fed by helpers all over Texas will be returned to their respective ranches to join surviving or new herds. Deer and antelope will roam freely again. Pets will be reunited with their families or rescued by caring individuals.  Homes will be rebuilt, and families will settle into a new routine again.  After all, they still have each other.

And in the end, all that matters are those we love.



 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM