OUR MISGUIDED TEXAS LAWMAKERS

Our notorious Governor Abbott participated in a photo op with the parents of young people who died from overdoses of fentanyl.   The occasion was when he signed into law a measure that allows prosecutors to ask for the death penalty for anyone found guilty of manufacturing or distributing fentanyl.  The risk of this law is that there might be even more deaths if, at a party, someone takes a pill laced with fentanyl; no one might report the adverse reaction for fear that they will be tried for murder. Another law was passed that required schools to educate students in grades 6 through 12 about the dangers of fentanyl.  Hopefully, the curriculum will address all the risks of street drugs, drug and alcohol abuse, and subsequent addictions.  Maybe even throw in eating disorders!

Since 2019, there has been a 500% increase in fentanyl-related deaths in Texas, with 2,000 people dying in 2022.  Most often, people buy what they think are opioids from the street. Hence, the underlying problem is an addiction or desire for strong painkillers.  Frequently, young people are experimenting with street drugs or influenced by friends.

Unfortunately, a measure to legalize fentanyl tests was stuck in a Texas Senate committee after passing the Texas House.  Fentanyl testing kits are considered drug paraphernalia under Texas law and are illegal to buy or possess.

When I was recently in Mexico, I bought two bottles of antibiotics from a pharmacy because I wanted to be prepared if I had a diverticulitis flare-up.  When the excruciating pain starts, and a doctor is called or seen in ER, then one must make a trip to the pharmacy.    Since I have experienced diverticulitis numerous times, I’m aware of the symptoms, and the sooner I get started on antibiotics, the quicker the pain goes away.

My daughter alerted me to the news that pharmacies in Mexico were selling drugs like Percocet, Adderall, and Oxycodone that have been laced with fentanyl, heroin, and methamphetamine.  According to the DEA, the drug cartels have been doing business with Mexican pharmacies due to our high demand for low-cost drugs in Mexico.  When I was recently in South Padre, close to the Mexican border town of Nuevo Progreso, Marcy asked me to buy a doctor-prescribed medication for my grandson to increase his attention span. It has become difficult and expensive to fill his legal prescription in the USA because adults use it to improve their job performance.  Diabetic drugs are also becoming scarce because many non-diabetic women are taking them to lose weight.

None of the five pharmacies in Nuevo Progreso had his medication.  After hearing about the fentanyl-laced pills, I’m relieved I could not purchase them.  However, my two bottles of antibiotics purchased from Mexico are still in my kitchen cabinet.  My first instinct was to discard them, even though it appears that the pain medications are the ones that are targeted in Mexico.  So, I tried to buy a fentanyl testing kit, but since it’s illegal in Texas, I’ll have to purchase a kit when I’m out of state.  I'm somewhat confident the antibiotics are safe since they are not painkillers, but I want to be 100% certain.

Oh, and how about reducing the costs of pharmaceuticals so that people don't need to buy the same (?) drug in Mexico at a much lower price?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to allow people to test their drugs for fentanyl BEFORE they pop it in their mouths, thus saving their life?  Yes, they might have obtained them illegally or over the border, but aren't we about saving lives?  And really, has the death penalty deterred murderers? (Hint:  No, it hasn't.  The average murder rate in states with the death penalty is 5.71 per 100,000 of the population against 4.02 per 100,000 in states that do not have it.)

When did this state become so backasswards?  And don’t get me started on arming teachers rather than outlawing assault weapons!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM