GIGI WISDOM


After hugging me as I walked through the front door, six-year-old Gigi said, "Mom said you were sad because your friend has cancer."
Me: "I'm upset, but I felt better when you hugged me."
Gigi's visiting friend: "Am I going to die of cancer?"
Me: "No, you don't have cancer and are not going to die. I know it's scary to hear someone is very ill, but you're young and healthy."
Gigi: "Only 1% of people with cancer die. They get better if they take the medication the doctor gives them. If they take drugs that aren't prescribed by a doctor, they die."
Me: "Okay, that sounds about right."

(When I relayed this story to Marcy, Gigi's mother, she asked, "Well, did you tell them they also needed to eat their vegetables?")



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM