PADDY, THE GEEZER DOG

My daughter, Marcy, thinks Paddy is a dog with developmental disabilities. I believe she’s confused by his sweet, docile personality. She associates his personality traits with being slow-witted. Unlike Marcy’s dog, Paddy rarely barks, and I don’t remember ever hearing him cry or whine! Having those traits doesn’t mean he isn’t dog smart. Paddy sits when commanded and will come when called most of the time. He wants to please me and is attached like Velcro.

Most people are surprised when they learn he’s 11, as he still gets the zoomies when he’s excited and enjoys long morning walks. His gait is like a show dog, although he would never qualify because he’s just a designer mutt consisting of equal parts of a golden retriever and a poodle. I couldn’t wish for a better companion. He’s loyal to me, although his nature is such that he would quickly adjust to a new owner as long they gave him treats. Frequently, I thank his human father, Jack, for gifting me with Paddy, although he passed from this world six years ago. If there is an afterlife, I hope Jack knows the joy Paddy has given me these past 11 years.
Recently, I was asked if I’d ever flown with Paddy. I would never put him in the belly of an airplane as there have been too many nightmares associated with animals stored there during a flight. Besides, it would hurt his feelings. So, when I retired, my brother flew to South Florida to drive us across the country to Seattle because I wanted to live near my daughter and new grandbaby.
I loved hiking with Paddy in the mountains near Seattle from early spring through the summer, but the winter weather was not conducive for hiking nor for my mental health. It was depressing when there was no sun for months on end, mainly since I was accustomed to year-round warm, sunny days in Florida.
After only one year in Washington, I bought what was planned to be a winter home in the Texas Hill Country, where I had frequently enjoyed spending time during the wildflower season. This time, a former boyfriend drove us from Seattle to Texas with Paddy riding again on my lap. By my calculations, Paddy has been to 20 states, including many of our beautiful National Parks. There aren’t many people who can say the same, particularly numerous Texans who can’t imagine there would be any reason to travel out of the state, much less the country!
Paddy has always slept with me. Sometimes, Paddy has nightmares or emits a hacking sound when he is on his back due to a narrowed trachea pressing against vertebrae. I usually sleep through those episodes, but he’ll receive a slight nudge if I'm awakened.
I have further proof that Paddy is intelligent. It came to me like a light had been turned on. Paddy sometimes throws his entire 20 pounds on top of my legs at night, waking me for a short time. My mouth is exceedingly dry during those moments of being awakened. I got it! My snoring disturbs him, so he purposely plops on my legs to get me to wake up and stop snoring!
So there, Marcy, Paddy is a brilliant dog!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM