SLEEPING WITH GRANDCHILDREN


My grandchildren, Patrick and Gigi, rarely stay with me. When they do, I try to ensure they have the food they love and trips to the craft room or a movie during their stay. At ages six and eight, it’s essential to keep them engaged.
When I finally settle them for bedtime, my grandson will choose to sleep on the couch. Patrick often declares his intention to sleep alone throughout the day as if declaring independence.
Gigi will also assert that she’s sleeping on the couch, but at the last minute, she ends up in my queen-sized bed with two giant stuffed toys and Paddy. At that point, I’m comfortable lying supine while scratching her back until she falls asleep. Reading a book while scratching someone’s back takes talent, but I've perfected the maneuver.
Patrick doesn’t last long in the living room before he jumps into bed with us. Subtlety is not one of his attributes. Past excuses for suddenly sleeping with us include being afraid or seeing someone at the door, but the latest reason is a fly buzzed past him.
In the wee morning hours, I awaken on my side with not even an inch left of the mattress before I risk falling into the abyss. Two children, a dog, and two huge stuffed animals are all somehow draped over various parts of my body, along with an arm cast over my face. It’s at that point the couch calls to me. Paddy soon follows, then firmly attaches himself to my side while sighing as if feeling safe at last from the chaos in the bedroom.

I already know the memory of our bedtime routine will comfort me when all of us grow older. I still treasure my childhood memories of sleeping with my grandmother. I hope they will one day feel the same.
And I can’t wait until the next sleepover. I’ll catch up on sleep when I’ve left this world!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM