NOT JUST A BODY



I had been suffering from substantial pain and limited mobility in my upper thigh and lower back shortly after moving furniture three months ago. It was a bit like walking on the plank when we practically marched from the preparation room to the surgical room. I know I can be foolish sometimes and my confidence tends to outweigh my abilities.  I'm sure climbing mountains last summer and picking up two grand babies every chance I got were perfect set-ups for physical failure months later. The joy of it all was still worth it, even though I've recently had moments of crying from pain.

Back surgeries can be a slippery slope. I consulted a spine Surgeon who wanted to operate immediately; otherwise, "I would eventually be unable to walk at all." No...not before I try everything else.

I did the Aleve. I did the steroid injection in the hip. I did the resting. I did Physical therapy for a month. I did non-weight-bearing pool exercises most days. I lost 25 pounds.  I did it all religiously with no significant relief.

Here I was...having an epidural in my lower back to at least give me some relief for a while. After all, I've got things to do and places yet to see.

Before injecting the anesthesia, I could feel my pants pulled down, and my lower back prepped for the epidural. I was told to lie face down on what looked like an extended massage table. The Anesthesiologist and the nurse exchanged a few words with each other, but they never bothered to introduce themselves. I was just an injection site to them.

I think back about the numerous times I've coached my staff at the rehab hospital and the outpatient therapy clinics to treat patients like they would their loved ones because the heart is the most essential key to healing. I'm going to be doing some free consulting for this staff!

The lovely anesthesia quickly rid me of constant brain noise and swept me into sweet slumber. I experienced the most pleasant dreams during that brief period. I understand addiction.

My final dream before I awakened was of my grandson. It occurred to me that if my last vision before my last breath is of my grandchildren, I will die happy.

I've had a day of being pain-free. I'll take it and be grateful.

Next on the list is Feldenkrais on Friday. It's specialized therapy to retrain the brain to use proper mechanics to heal the body. When our bodies have been injured, we avoid the pain,n which in turn creates subsequent problems that prevent complete healing. One of my closest friends went through this therapy and had excellent results.

Life is a wonderful journey, even with all the bumps in the road. The bumps get our attention and make the journey more interesting.

I wouldn't have it any other way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM