PADDY'S GIFT

I have the privilege of seeing patients smile every week the minute they see Paddy walk into the rehab gym or into the Nursing Home.  Some people have told me how wonderful it is that I'm doing this work.

I have to tell them that it's Paddy doing the work...I'm just on the other end of the leash and selfishly basking in the joy he gives.  Paddy amazes me when he jumps up into the bed of someone too sick to sit in a chair.  There have been patients not speaking who suddenly started petting him and talking about the beloved dogs they had in the past.

At the dog park, he seeks out the oldest, sickest dogs that are sticking closely to their owners.  He simply sniffs them and lies down beside them.  He was doing this when he was less than a year old while most dogs were running wildly in the park.  Oh, he loves to be chased and does the zoomies with the best of them, but he takes care of the infirmed before he gets to the frolicking part.

And, even though I'm far from a religious person, I firmly believe that God sent him into the world to brighten the lives of those he encounters.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM