THE INVITATION THAT NEVER CAME



I grew up in a tiny community surrounding Phillips Petroleum Company. All of our fathers were company men. We knew each other reasonably well, although on a superficial level. Most of the 70 or so of us went through all twelve grades together.

There were 3 social clubs for girls and one for boys.  Membership was by invitation only.  Invitations to join were mailed the summer between the eighth and ninth grades.

I had few friends in school, as I was more of a loner.  It didn't help my feelings of isolation, sadness, and shame when I would go to PE, don the required shorts, and hope that no one saw the bruises all over my legs.  Those bruises were far more profound than they appeared on the surface.  I was happiest reading books and living in an imaginary world.  It wasn't until adulthood that I realized I was chronically and clinically depressed as a child. I felt unloved, ugly, and fat.
But mostly, I felt invisible.  It's a feeling that will still creep in when I'm in situations reminiscent of early times.

Despite constantly feeling like an outsider, I was delusional enough to hope that I would be invited to join a club.  There's something tragic about running to the mailbox every day and hoping against hope that an envelope would be addressed to me on the inside.

Alas, it never came.

Only a handful of us was not invited to any of the clubs.  I recently visited with one of the other girls in my class who didn't receive an invitation.  She shared that she also waited for the invitation that never came and how hurtful that had been.

It's hard to imagine why the adults in our small town allowed this type of exclusivity, but I'm confident the thrill of inclusion was greater than the thought that a child might be devastated. For me, not being accepted by my peers just compounded the pain I already felt from my home life. The lesson I learned was to always be as inclusive as possible, whether it was parties I was hosting or meetings I conducted.  I never wanted anyone to feel that they didn't matter.

Oh, and that young girl who felt like a loser as a child? For a long time, I thought putting myself through college, collecting three degrees, and having a successful career was the best revenge. Who was I kidding, though? The adults in that small town had no clue that their actions caused any pain to the children not chosen, and they certainly never gave a thought to what became of me.  I finally understood that I'm responsible for my own happiness. Revenge can't survive when your goal is to be happy, to love, and to be loved.

I rarely feel isolated and hurt any longer due mainly to the support and love I've received through the years, for which I'm forever grateful. The love of friends, family, and an incredible therapist opened the door to caring about myself.

My adult life has been an extraordinary and priceless journey that I wouldn't trade for anything, including the rough times.

And I'm still a work in progress.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR MCELROY AND TEXAS A&M

MY LIFE WITH TERI FLANAGAN

ROSA PARKS AND THE DREAM